The immediate love i gained for Croatia and its cuisine inspired me to start cooking. When I say cooking, I mean hardcore cooking. I haven’t left my kitchen for a week.
My trip to Croatia took my relationship with food to a whole different level. I’ve always been very delicate towards my taste buds and loved everything about an exquisite meal but I personally never had the courage nor motivation to get myself to cook anything different. It might be the complicity of the heatwave, the 5 star buffet served at the office, the spending too much time at the gym, therefore my cooking has reflected its state to salads, omelettes, grilled chicken, turkey and halloumi sandwiches. Meh. Sounds boring.
Well Croatia did me well. Actually Anthony Bourdain played his part too. Just finished reading one of his books; Medium raw. This man is a creative genius.
I decided the time has come to start experimenting and going wild. I had a stack of my favorite recipes printed out(from Health.com) Some have been lying there for more than a year, so I thought it might be a good time to try them out. I would also use Anthony Bourdain’s book as a source of inspiration. I also bought a stack of oils and herbs from this organic boutique in the island of Hvar. Perfect time to throw them in and see what they’re all about.
So off i dove off in to the world of food porn. Mostly Mediterranean cuisine. And all I can say is that I was impressed. Mother would be proud to hear this. I decided to start with this so called Thai Beef Salad dish served with Organic brown rice. Thanks to Health.com. It was fantastic. I’ve listed all the ingredients and directions below. I beg of you, try this out at home. Its insanely good!
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups trimmed watercress
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 6 sliced radishes
- 3 1/2 cups sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add beef, reduce heat to medium-high, and simmer 25 minutes or until medium-rare. Remove beef from saucepan with tongs, cover beef with aluminum foil, and let stand 10 minutes. 2. Combine canola oil, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Set aside. 3. Combine watercress, mint, cilantro, radishes, onion, and lemon rind in a large bowl; refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. 4. Cut beef crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices, then into long strips. Add beef and dressing to watercress mixture, and toss gently to coat.
This is it! Very simple yet tastes amazing. I really enjoyed my alone time in the kitchen. I realized that cooking could potentially be one of my creative outlets. This is the time where I also realized my passion for traveling. Traveling and exploring different places and cultures is my key to inspiration. Every adventure I have ever been on inspired me to explore something new about myself. I must admit this trip definitely triggered those taste buds of mine.
This trip also confirmed my next holiday destination. Italy. The cuisine that has colonised the world. I need some of that food in my system to keep me going.
October seems so far away.